The 977 seat Strand Theatre was one of the big 3 movie theatres in Erie—the other two being the Warner Theatre and Shea’s Theatre. This Strand Theatre opened on November 14, 1948, and replaced an earlier (larger) Strand Theatre which operated on State Street. Originally built by Stanley-Warner, it had seating on a stadium plan, with a raised stepped section at the rear. The “new” Strand Theatre later stood empty for a number of years until it was rescued by the Erie Playhouse company in 1983.
Currently seating 433, the theatre has been renovated in 1993 and 2007 and was recognized by the American Theatre Association in 1985 as one of the Ten Best Community Theatres in the United States.